Trio at the park

Trio at the park
My 'Fur Kids', I wouldn't trade them for the world - today anyway

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Good Vet Visit

Apache's visit to Beaver Animal Clinic went well this morning. It's a bit of a drive for me, but the vet there is willing to work with me and is hopefully tracking all we're learning about CH in a manner that MAY help other vets if they encounter this disease. Apace is doing better than anyone could have hoped or would have guessed. He did crack a tooth on a cooked bone I was quite stupid to give him, since cooked bones are harder and more brittle than raw ones. I've thrown all of them out now, but the damage is done. At some point he's going to need it removed, but both vets hesitate to put him under to do it when it's not bothering him. Before I forget, STRESS can also trigger CH... The most difficult thing I had to do when this whole thing started was not to stress about it around him. If I was crying, which I did a lot in the beginning, he would stress pant & yawn around me, so I was actually making it worse. When I find a lump on him, I just make a mental note, and remember to check there a week later. They occasionally flair up, then disappear again depending what is going on. He does have one CH lump on his ear, but it is one from the original outbreak that never did reabsorb. I know exactly where it is, the vets can never find it without my help, but they know I'm watching it.

Apache sees a lot of vets, obviously, but for different reasons. I do make sure he gets a check up at the holistic vet at least once a year so they can continue to document the progress of this disease and his remission - which I hope will continue forever LOL!!

Side note, these guys are filthy and need a bath. I'm a big fan of those 'self dog washes' that have been cropping up. You go there with your dog, you bathe them, use their tubs, towels, etc... and they clean up - How Great is That?!?!?! Two of my three blow so much coat after a bath I do feel bad leaving the place like that, but I guess that's what they're there for & thank goodness for that!

2 comments:

Ferndoggle said...

Have you been to Larry's yet? I have but not to wash dogs. It's really nice.

Jen

Annette said...

Never been there yet. Honestly I don't know which one of them is closer, the one in South Park or Larry's...but I do need to get them somewhere soon. I wish Dirty Harry's had not closed, having individual rooms was better for taking all 3.