Trio at the park

Trio at the park
My 'Fur Kids', I wouldn't trade them for the world - today anyway

Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's been a while

CHIP DID IT!!! Much fanfair and joy!! He got his CD in Youngstown All Breed Obedience Training Club in November!! His scores got steadily higher (which is what you hope for), and he finished in 3 shows. He got highest scoring Silky Terrier (only one there) and highest scoring Toy Group both days (all other Toy dogs failed to qualify). I also found out that Chip was the 'Highest Scoring Silky Terrier in Rally Novice B' for 2007 (ranked according to Front and Finish magazine). I'm so very proud of him again!

I've had people comment on all of my dogs and their response time and reliability, and often ask about it. Truth be told, I train balanced obedience training - I use food, toys, whatever to get the dog 'up', but I use collar, or verbal corrections to redirect/stop certain things. Some dogs require a stern/serious correction (i.e. Apache, Roxie, and Lady all did at different points in their lives), some require a quick/redirecting correction with a lot of talking and quick praise when they're right (Chip), and some require almost no physical correction and a harsh word can actually crush her (Cheyenne). The trick is knowing what you are doing and what dog you are dealing with. These are the important things, and there are several tools, training methods out there, don't get stuck on just one. A proper correction is fast/fair and geared to the specific dog you are working with. It should not be done out of frustration or anger, but in an effort to teach - my favorite explanation for this is using 'correction to give direction' is the fairest approach. It's best to supply your dog with all the information it needs, when it does well (praise, treat, etc..) or when it does wrong (correct and show them what you were looking for). It has always seemed ridiculous to me that someone can say 'this works on all dogs' anymore than this works on all kids. Everyone/Everything learns differently, even when you are talking about the same species. You're selling them short if you try to generalize your approach. I may get into my training beliefs and techniques more later, but since I don't take the time to post enough now, who knows!?!

Apache... Well, he's not doing as well as I had hoped or as he had in past winters. He is still struggling with ear issues (mild infections/odor), and has a couple of histocytes on various parts of his body (one on his ear, and a couple along his spine), but he seems to feel just fine. He is still a happy guy, thrilled to do whatever I ask whenever I'm prepared to ask it. I'm considering going for his Rally Advanced (Chip's too) this year, but haven't decided just yet.

Cheyenne... What can I say about Cheyenne. She'll be 12 this year, but still looks rather young to the unknowing people who have seen her. She appears in great shape, and just looks old when she is tired or just wakes up. She is the last dog I would have picked for myself, but she is the easiest dog that I live with!

No comments: