Trio at the park

Trio at the park
My 'Fur Kids', I wouldn't trade them for the world - today anyway

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Why exactly.....

Why do people blog?? Is it because they have time? Or do they think people are interested in their lives? Hmmmm...

I think people blog to remember things, both good and bad. I remember my dogs, people not so much, but definitely my dogs. I have more than my share that I miss terribly, some that I shake my head at getting in the first place, and some that I pray I never lose, but know I'm going to...

I had dogs my whole childhood... Usually large ones, by most people's standards. Tied outside during the day, and locked in the kitchen at night. We had little interaction with them then. My 'first' Lady was a huge German Shepherd/Collie cross that was amazingly patient with children - which was a good thing for her, because I came from a large family... She was great with us, and seemed to think I was her puppy. Her job was to watch over me and guard me from anything and everything. She lived to a ripe old age of 16 and I remember her well.

As an alleged 'grown up', I got married in my teens and got my second 'Lady'. She was a far cry from the first, but named because of her great desire to watch over me. She was a rescued Beauceron from an animal shelter who had 7 broken ribs, and cigarette burns all over her. Teaching her to trust me taught me a lot. However, teaching her not to eat people taught me even more. She honestly hated everyone but me...deeply. She was an amazing dog, and I can still cry missing her today. She was joined by the comic relief Rottweiler 'Roxie'. She was also a rescue from a shelter, but had been used as bait for dog fighting. She was an amazing coward, but sweet as any animal you could ever meet.. She taught me about patience, and dog training more than I think she could have realized.. While the 2 'girls' are long gone, but not forgotten, I now have a relatively small pack that amuse & frustrate me regularly.

No comments: