Trio at the park

Trio at the park
My 'Fur Kids', I wouldn't trade them for the world - today anyway

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Cheyenne

I had to euthanize my dear Roxie at around 9 years of age. When I rescued her, I knew she had severe hip & elbow displaysia... I was the assistant manager at an animal shelter, and knew she wouldn't get adopted, so I took her and we had 9 long years together. She got her CD/CGC/TDI - CD Companion Dog obedience title, and she passed the CGC Canine Good Citizen, & Therapy Dogs International test. She was a sweet dog, but was starting to cry out in pain, and this was a dog the vet put a staple in without any anesthesia. I had to let her go, we had had a good run and after all she did for me, I owed it to her not to allow her to hurt.

During that time, I was going back to the shelter I no longer worked at (I had to get a 'real' job to pay the bills), and worked with dogs that were 'difficult'. It's then that I met Cheyenne, but she was 'Beauty' when I saw her. A terrified heap in the corner of a cage. She wouldn't even look at you, she had her head jammed into that concrete wall for dear life. When I rattled the cage door and I saw that beautiful face, I was hooked. I worked with her for about 20 minutes, she was heeling, doing automatic sits...she was an amazing dog, with no future. She was terrified and overwhelmed at the shelter. I left a message for the manager, who was a friend of mine, telling her if she was stuck, to call me about this dog (don't EVER do that!!). The day I had Roxie scheduled to be euthanized, I got the call. I originally took Cheyenne to foster home her, but it didn't work out like that! Honestly, I'm kind of glad it didn't, she's, by far, my easiest dog!


I tried to foster her, but when she was stressed she'd make a break for her crate, my van, or to hide 'under' my Beauceron Lady. She was completely housebroken, silent always, and would never eat if I walked out of the room (BOY has that changed). I tried to place her once. She slipped out of the collar (they switched collars after I drove off) within about 20 minutes of their visit with her, and they called me on my cell phone to tell me that she had left... Left!! I asked how they could lose her, & they again said they didn't lose her, she left! I asked them if she called a cab, left?!?!? I was at the park with Lady, I packed her back into the car, drove back there and wandered around the neighborhood until I saw those cute little 'Teddy Bear' ears of hers. I got her back in the van, and the rest, they say, is history... She's 9 now, wonderfully trained, but still has little or NO use for other people (hey, she & I do have a lot in common).

No comments: