Trio at the park

Trio at the park
My 'Fur Kids', I wouldn't trade them for the world - today anyway

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring

Ok, you think I'd be thrilled it's warming up, but I'm not. Apache's allergies are kicking in right now. Corners of his mouth are drying up, and peeling off. I'd imagine it's allergies, it normally is, and it's never been the same thing 2 years in a row... I bleached any moss or mold in the yard since it's been so rainy. I've defrosted a rabbit (yep, I know it sounds disgusting, but....), so I'm HOPING to get him back on track again soon. I hate when he starts this yearly thing, but I have to stop myself from getting too upset. When I get upset, he gets upset then refuses to eat and gets very sick... Sigh, it's bad when you have to fake being thrilled for the sake of the dog LOL!!

Side note, made more pumpkin treats, added some ground flax seed to them too. The dogs don't even notice, but they're still good for them & they love them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

4wks ago, my dog was dx with Malignant Histiocytosis (your right, the vet has limited info). He has improved since then and doesn't fit the profile of MH. I think it's Cutaneous. He has the M&M nodules all over, otherwise he seems fine. Any suggestions on how to decrease nodules, types of supplements you use? Out of everything I've read on the internet, your blog was most helpful. I hope Tucker can do as well as your Apache is doing. Thank you,
Wendy

Annette said...

Malignant?? Luckily Apache's had been benign, but does your dog have allergies??? Food allergies are most common, but Apache has environmental ones as well. I, luckily, have often been able to bring his reactions in check by switching to an all natural diet - which is a pain, but so much better for them. Decreasing the nodules will depend on what is triggering them (which is normally some form of allergy).
Regarding you're other question, the prescribed suppliments are "Seven Forests -Forsythia 18", "Health Concerns - Ecliptex" and "Standard Process - Canine Immune Support". If you have access to a Holistic Vet, they may be able to help you - the 'Standard Process' is by perscription only. I hope that helps some, let me know if you have more questions.

Annette said...

Wendy,
Did your vet do a biopsy? They should be able to narrow which it is by that. Before I forget, thank you for your feedback. I know when he got sick, I lost my mind looking for information and found very little that gave me hope.

Anonymous said...

They biopsied his spleen b/c it was and also a lymph node. B/C of his rapid deterioration (plts were 800 and had no energy)The vet concluded MH. Im now thinkning it may be Systemic Histio which is a slower progression. Nodules on his head have started to drain. Have you had issues with that? I bought some Eyebright tea, exactly how did you use it on his eyes? Did you leave his eye covered all night? Tuck has one starting on his upper and lower eyelids.
Thanks, Wendy

Annette said...

None of Apache's nodules ever ruptured. Worse case, the hair fell out and they got really red & shiny until they were reabsorbed. If internal organs are already involved, then it is likely it is MH. The Eyebright - I opened the capsule into a cup, steeped in hot water until it got to room temperature, then soaked cotton balls and held them against his eyes for a short period. Basically it was used as an eye wash, but warmed.

Anonymous said...

Annette,
I am taking my dog back to the Vet on Thurs. to get a definitive dx. They are going to do a bone marrow bx and another skin bx. I'll keep you posted. Like you, I've been keeping a daily journal but on paper which helps me a great deal. Thanks for your input,
Wendy